|Engine size||250 cc|
|Chassis No.||57 L25 754|
|Engine No.||25T 12742|
James, along with so many other British motorcycle manufacturers of the period, moved from bicycle production to motorcycles at the turn of the century. Initially making sporting machines, they soon focussed on the utility market and continued doing so until they finally ceased production in 1966 due to the onslaught of cheaper, better Japanese machines.
The L25 Commodore was introduced in 1957 and used the AMC 249cc two-stroke shared with Francis Barnett. Using a tubular front section, pressed centre frame and deep mudguards, the Commodore was both stylish and rugged, becoming a favourite of the armed forces at the time.
This lovely example was purchased by the vendor from a friend who had to stop riding due to arthritis. He believes the 14,350 miles to be genuine, although there is no supporting evidence for this. In fine condition and MOTd until July 2012 he reports that the 4-speed gear change is particularly sweet and that the whole machine runs and rides beautifully. It comes with a copy of the manual, spare clutch cable and contacts.