|Hammer value||N/S (est. £3,250 - £4,250)|
|Description||Mini 1275 GT Race Car|
|Engine size||1,293 cc|
Launched in 1969, the Mini 1275GT was the ‘hot’ version of the new-look Mini Clubman and was intended to replace the old Mini Cooper S which duly ended production in 1971, leaving the 1275GT as the only sporting Mini on sale for the rest of the decade.
Not quite as quick as a Cooper S, it was cheaper to buy, run, and insure. Safer and better equipped than the classic ‘round light’ Mini, it also featured a standard-fit close-ratio gearbox. Performance was lively for the time, achieving 0–60 mph in 12.9 seconds, and the excellent midrange torque offered a 30–50 mph time in top gear of only nine seconds. The bluff front, however, meant that the model struggled to top 90 mph. The Clubman and 1275GT were replaced in 1980 by the new hatchback Austin Metro.
This particular three owner car started life in 1977 as a standard road-going 1275 GT. The current keeper purchased it in 1989 with the intention of creating a racecar and it was gradually stripped and then re-built over the next 13 years, as time and funds allowed.
The body was refurbished using the original shell plus numerous new panels and then repainted in Teal Blue with an Old English White Roof. The bonnet and boot are lightweight fibreglass items but the original steel items are supplied with the car.
The engine is a fully race prepared 1293cc unit, balanced and lightened with Kent MD296 cam, big valve head, Kent double-valve springs, Oselli inlet and exhaust manifolds. All this was put together by Terry Hird Engines. A KAD quick-shift gear change was fitted. It also has a very light steel flywheel by KWR Engine Developments plus an Avonbar central oil pick up and M/S 2-core Radiator.
The brakes have 12"discs, DS11 pads on the front and Minifin Drums with VG95 linings at the rear. It also has adjustable brake bias. All the brake and clutch lines are braided courtesy of Goodridge.
The suspension has Spax adjustable shock absorbers, negative camber front arms, Superflex polyurethane sub-frame and tie-bar mounts, with rear Hi-Lo's. Rear camber brackets supplied.
There is a full roll cage with door bars by Roll Centre. The fire extinguisher system is a plumbed in 2.25L AFFF . The driver's seat is from Recaro and has full harness belts. To save weight the rear and side windows are polycarbonate. It has a three gallon foam-filled fuel tank (the original steel tank supplied with the car). The car comes with five John Wolf Racing ‘look alike' Minilite wheels with four excellent Yokohama A 510 tyres.
The car has only been used sparingly for about 8 races since the rebuild was finished in 2002 but it comes with its original V5 document and registration number. Now in need of light recommissioning, (and possible updating of seat, harness and extinguisher - depending on intended use) the car could easily be converted into an Historic Rally Car or MOT'd and used as a quick road car with a difference.
The car was successful in the very last of the 'Eight Clubs Event' at Silverstone in 2002 where it won the IPA Trophy. An ideal first race car or just a great little track day car, it is being offered here for a fraction of the money spent on it to date.